Monday, February 06, 2006

Superbowl Recap

Here are my random thoughts on the event yesterday:

  • Thank God those lame Seahawks didn't win
  • What was with the love handles on Mick's arms?
  • I think Madden was using, when is the last time he was that invisible
  • Ben, great vision and improv on that deep ball...but the throw still sucked
  • What the hell happened to the commercials; this was without a doubt the worst collection of SB commercials in years
  • Didn't Seattle have an MVP on their roster?
  • Hey Holmgren; I'll be teaching a seminar to high school coaches this summer in clock management, I'll send you an invite
  • Does anyone else think Roethlisberger plays like the love child of Bradshaw and Stewart
  • Just when you thought the Seahawk receivers had figured out how to catch the ball Jeremy Stevens proves us wrong
  • It could have been a lot worse...we could have suffered through a Superbowl with Payton Manning. At least Big Ben knows how to improvise.
I didn't watch all of the post-game show, but I bet the Roethlisberger speech went something like this:

"Wow, this is great....almost as great as having a fathead from fathead.com. I mean it's the trophy. It's like all silver and stuff. Oh, I'd like to thank the organization, my parents, all the people that buy the stuff I do commercials for, and last but not least, I'd like to thank the defense for not putting me in a position where I'd have to win the game. That was really cool. Oh yeah, and thanks to Antwaan for throwing that TD. Made things a lot easier on me. Buy a fathead! Peace out."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Being that I'm not a fan of either team I have a few thoughts to sum this up:

1. Steeler fan should not have to apologize for the outcome of the game. Their team made the big plays when they needed to and they did not throw the flags. However, Steeler fan is very shortsighted if they do not see where Seattle fan is coming from and should not get on them for "whining." Imagine if the Steelers lost that game to the Colts because that Polamalu INT got overturned. I'm sure we'd hear "whining" (actually, we heard Joey Porter whine anyway)....and rightly so. Well, that's what Seattle fan feels like after this game. You cannot deny you wouldn't feel the same way.

2. I believe in Instant Replay - the technology is there, it has to be used. If the purpose is to get the call right, I think that Penalty calls should be able to be challenged. If I were Arbiter of Justice for the NFL, I'd make the following rule: Teams get 3 challenges per game. There is no "penalty" of losing a timeout if you are wrong. Also, the reviews would not take place by the Referee (since he has a loyalty to his crew) and instead would be conducted by a booth official (ironically, this is the way things were done when replay first began). All plays, including penalties, would be able to be challenged.

3. It's a shame that in a multimillion dollar business like the NFL, that the league refuses to pay full time officials. The league is a business, and to have such a huge portion of your product's outcome determined by people with no real stake in the league is just plain silly.

You know, it kinda makes sense.......maybe the refs are purposely calling games like this to re-open the discussion on full time officials!!!