Thursday, March 15, 2007

Burgers + Camera Tricks + Little People = Head Scratch

So I see this commercial for Burger King the other day. First, I have to say that I'm really, REALLY glad that "The King" isn't the exclusive campaign for BK. That guy is super creepy. Creepy, like he's actually from an alternate dimension where giant plastic heads are the "in" thing like boob jobs and piercings are here.

So this ad has a bunch of construction workers building burgers. Of course the best way to build burgers, according BK, is to hire really small people with tiny construction equipment. But I'm not going to get into the economics of miniaturization in today's post.

Can someone explain to me, if you're using photographic or digital effects to shrink the actors and equipment down in size, why did they need to hire little people to play the roles of the construction workers? I mean, I've got to believe that the daily rate for little people actors is a bit higher than your average "waiter turned daytime soap star" actor right? What am I missing?

Is there some written or implied rule of the actors guild that states that for all roles implying full time smallness (e.g. not Honey, I Shrunk the Kids) that little people must be used? Or is there some deeper, more sinister reason behind this seemingly ridiculous casting?

While not as creepy as "The King," its still just as puzzling. But, at least it's not the urban, hip-hop, eat our food cause it tastes good and you'll be "ho'in fo Mickey D ya wizzle" crap that McDonalds churns out. Man those commericals blow.

1 comment:

gazaker said...

Midgets are just funnier, especially when the burger drop on him. stop, they're killing me...