Monday, October 10, 2005

Is That Wide Receiver Having a Seizure?

I'm watching the game last night (CIN/JAX) and Reggie Williams a wide receiver for Jacksonville catches this 12 yard pass. Then he gets up and starts shaking like he's about to bite his tongue and foam at the mouth. "What the hell is that?", then it hits me. He's celebrating. He's celebrating a 12 yard catch. Dude, YOU GET PAID TO CATCH PASSES. I mean, are you really saying, "Hey, look at me. I just did something that surprised me. Yeah for me."

I'll give them the back flip for their first touchdown, but why do players feel the need to peacock themselves around the field every time they do what they're being paid to do. Then there's that stupid drop-to-one-knee-and-lower-your-arm-in-the-direction-your-team-is-driving first down antics. Yes we know you got a first down, we see the yellow line, now go back to the huddle and see if you can't do it again. And the jawing. Man, are you serious. It was one catch, how about the three others you dropped before that. Shut your hole and be thankful those of us that employ you through our support of your league don't decide that kicks to the crotch are the new "in thing" we want to see as part of team celebrations. Trust me, I could sell it to the NFL.

Can you imagine if the idea of celebrating the little victories in our jobs were translated and adopted by other professions. What if truck drivers stopped their trucks and hopped onto the shoulder every time they drove ten miles. Down to one knee, hand open, arm snaps horizontal....NEXT MILE MARKER! Or the guy that leaps out of his cube and starts flexing in his office-mates face, "Hey, I just finished that Java function. What do you have done? What? Nothing....yeah, you got noth'in. I own you."

Here's some advice from Uncle Jimbo to the average NFL showboat. When you make the catch act like you've done it before and you'll do it again. Act like it's no big thing. Because that's far more impressive than the preening.

2 comments:

Donkey Punch said...

That's funny, I do that at work...


YEAH, look at that filling!!! In your FACE!!!

Colonel Dutch Mustard said...

Yea, Barry Sanders was cool.

He had skills.