Monday, October 09, 2006

When Business Meets Technology

Normally I don't get comment on technology news, because honestly, it's pretty boring. Uncle Jimbo used to be a technologist, now I'm just an uninspired blogger with a fantasy football team that plays like the Steelers. However this story is particularly ironic (which we all know is a monkey and bottle of hot sauce away from being sarcasm.)

It sure can get ugly when changes to technology make it look like Lo Pan got busy on your business plan. It can also make strange bedfellows. Case in Point: Symantec and McAfee.

So let's see, they're getting all pissed because Microsoft has closed the last (sic) "huge" security hole in their operating system thus eliminating the need for their products. Now it's not beyond the Kingdom of Gates to try and screw every other software manufacturer out there. But let's be serious, this one actually makes sense.

The best part of this article is the quote from a "Symantec spokesman". And I quote: "[Microsoft] is putting the core of the operating system in a lock box." Wait, didn't you just...um...I mean, that's a good thing right? Or are you trying to say it's bad? 'Cause from a consumer perspective it's good. But I can understand why it's bad for you. Good for consumers, bad for business. Ah, I see your dilemma.

Seriously though, isn't a more secure kernel a good thing? I mean, roshambo me and call me Kenny but isn't a lock box more secure? Keeps everyone from screwing with your kernel. Or is this some sort of (virtual) deep-fried lock box that could be easily eaten through by the likes of a Michael Moore worm? I know I don't want anyone messing with my kernel. You can leave it right where it is...untouched.

Man technology makes me almost as sick politics. Almost.

No comments: